Tuesday 18 August 2020

The Yummy Mummy Cycle

My earliest memory may have been from toddlerhood, contrary to what the experts say (between 4 and 5 years of age). I remember my mum giving us (my elder brother and I) our multivitamins. I very well remember the yucky smell of the yellowish thick, sticky syrup that contradicted its fruity taste. It was the last drug my mum would give us to flush the bitter taste of the previous ones from our tongues. It was also only because of this drug that we looked forward to our medication time, which happened to be after dinner daily. To catalyse our anticipation, my mum would sing the jingle of the brand commercial and we would sing along with her.  

"Multi, multi, multivite," she would sing as the spoon conveying the medicinal liquid approached our infant mouths. The last syllable usually coincided with the downing of the contents of the spoon. Although, this was no coincidence at all.

Was that why we grew up so healthy and strong? That, in addition to God's grace is more like it. Mum made sure we never missed our immunisation appointments. She saw to it that we took our supplements, which might not have even been necessary because she went out of her way to make us healthy meals.  It was only natural for me to grow into a hands-on, intentional mum like my mum.

Today, my son had his 18-months, Measles II immunisation and as soon as we returned from the hospital, where other women who were once babies themselves brought their own babies, I sat at my computer to write for my blog. 

I hope, someday, my own children would be good parents to their own children  from watching me pay attention to the details of their young lives. For such, indeed, is the cycle of life.

P.S: This blog post is dedicated to my before and after, my mum and my son because it is in between these two, I stand.












2 comments: