Tuesday 27 March 2018

God’s Asking You on a Date!



    Prayer doesn’t have to be a boring chore but a loving activity. A lot of Christians struggle with their prayer lives because they do it only because someone has told them as a rule to do it or it is a traditional routine. I remember growing up under zealous Christian parents and it was a rule to wake up at 6:00am, say my prayers first, then make my bed, clean my teeth, have a shower before having brekkie. It was also a rule to always pray before I ate anything, even a gum ;-). These prayers meant nothing to me especially the ones I said before meals. Although, my lips would say the words in a hurry, my mind was always on the mouth-watering dish in front of me, the devil was in its delicious aroma, tantalizing my nostrils and distracting me from my prayers.
  I grew up, fell hopelessly in love with God and things changed. Prayer time was no longer something I avoided and pushed to the very last on my schedule. It became bonding time with my Love; a time to tell each other sweet things; a time to pour out my heart to someone trusted till there was nothing left to share. Unlike my ‘routinous’ prayers which lasted a few seconds, max, I could go on talking to God for hours and it would feel like minutes. In fact, I have had to literally drag myself off God’s presence because I still didn’t feel like going anywhere after a very long time with Him. I look forward to be alone with this Love of mine. I rush home from work daily because I can’t wait to get home, shut the door behind me, fall on my knees with a smile already playing on my lips and start to bond.

Me enjoying a beautiful moment of fellowship with God
  Prayer time is synonymous to romance time. People in a relationship or engaged to be married would know this feeling. The day your fiancé is visiting or taking you on a date is always very special for you. You prepare by making your hair, cleaning up nicely, wearing your best clothes, e.t.c. You keep looking at the time to see if it is almost time for the date or visit. Time seems to crawl because you just can’t wait. People around you who are sensitive enough can sense your excitement and know you are expecting someone special. All this excitement is only because you are going to be spending some time with the one you love, expressing your feelings to them with words and actions, laughing with them and just having fun together. Sometimes, you share your pains and worries with your love and just having them listen to you make the challenges seem to go away in that instant. You are assured that even if the problems persist, you are not alone in them. Prayer works in much the same way. Have you ever wondered why your problems seem smaller when you tell them to God? It is not only because you have shared them with someone but also because the light of His presence drives away every darkness of doubt and fills your heart with faith at that moment. 
  Now, I realize that this has been a bit one-sided so let us see this from God’s perspective. How does He feel about all these? Well, he is just as excited as you are, honey. Like a newly-wed-love-struck wife can’t wait for her husband to be home from work, He can’t wait for you to come home and fall into his arms. It doesn’t matter that He was right there with you at work doing His own protective job while you worked your ass off, he still can’t wait to have you all to Himself because He cannot get enough of you. He can’t wait to hear your voice which is unique and different from the voice of any of his children and which sounds like music in His ears. Every prayer time is a date with God and He is constantly asking you on a date.

Throwback to September, 2014. I was so troubled in my spirit. I was trusting God for an urgent miracle and as I knelt in prayer, a cute little girl snuck into my room and caught me on camera.


No comments:

Post a Comment